Working for the British Chamber
The British Chamber of Commerce is a leading membership organisation supporting the British business community in Singapore. We provide a community, activities, content and connections to help our members to grow their business and to feel a part of the British community in Singapore and Southeast Asia.
We are an independent not-for-profit membership organisation supporting approximately 3,500 members from 300 member organisations, part of the British Chambers of Commerce Global Network and a leading member of the Britain in South East Asia network (BiSEA). Our members vary from startups and SMEs to global MNCs, spanning all sectors and industries. Approximately two-thirds of the network in Singapore are British nationals or those employed by an organisation headquartered in the UK. We are not part of the UK Government, though we work closely with the British High Commission and Department for International Trade in-market.
Within our services to the British business community, we focus on five broad themes - the Future of Trade (creating jobs and boosting economic growth in Singapore), the Future of Work (supporting talent and the enhancement of people to support business growth), Diversity & Inclusion (ensuring that rich and diverse workforces are working together to support business innovation and growth), Education & Learning (focusing on quality education and future skills that businesses will require), and sustainability through our Road to Net Zero campaign (encouraging businesses to do their part for a world that we all want to live in in the future).
The Chamber provides benefits including leave entitlements, medical cover, access to discounts offered by our member companies, and flexible working arrangements.
1. Head of Membership
We are seeking a bright, dynamic, independent, and personable professional to join our team as the Head of Membership, to:
- Membership Growth: Build, develop and convert an ongoing pipeline of new member acquisitions in line with Chamber targets
- Record and report on the status of the pipeline using CRM tools
- Organise meetings and onsite presentations to acquire new member companies
- Liaise with the Events team on regular Open House events as a means of inviting potential members to learn more about the Chamber
- Engagement: Increase engagement of existing members and ensure retention rate remains within Chamber targets
- Respond to all member enquiries in a timely manner
- Maintain updated records of member statuses on internal database system
- Attend meetings and offer to deliver presentations to encourage further engagement
- In liaison with the team, monitor the membership renewal process and proactively contact members as required throughout the year
- Develop and promote promotions and offers within the network
- Maintain an awareness of external commercial themes and news relevant to our member companies to further support the business eco-system
- Regularly attend Chamber events, including all flagship events, and confidently network with members and guests
- Collate and analyse membership data and trends for the Executive Director and the Board on the status of the membership
- Help to evolve the membership proposition to ensure we are delivering a world-class service to business members
- Organise and support Business Committee meetings
- Deliver the monthly New Member Briefing presentation
- Meet ongoing and annual targets for new member acquisitions
- Meet ongoing and annual targets for member retention
- Continually improve engagement levels throughout the membership
- Min 5 years’ experience in a service orientated sales and account management role with demonstrable evidence of results
- Preferably experience of a member based non-profit organisation in a similar role
- Business degree or related qualifications
- Confident speaker in presentations, interpersonal and networking skills
- Fluent in the English language, both spoken and written
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and adaptable to new systems
- Experience in analysing data to help inform better business decisions
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to “join-the-dots” when processing a lot of information
- Fast learner and adaptable to a SME environment
- Excellent team player
- Organises self, works effectively and makes best use of resources.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a small team.
- Takes responsibility and uses initiative to deliver high quality work.
- Understands and focuses on customer needs
- Able to multi-task and manage (sometimes demanding) deadlines
- Interested in business challenges to help support our member companies
- Working hours 08:30 – 17:30 Monday to Friday
- Monthly Salary + CPF
- 15 days paid annual leave
- Huge access to knowledge via our content resources and events
- Given the nature of the Chamber activities, some events sit outside traditional working hours so the candidate will need to be flexible to suit morning and evening meetings.
Please send your CV to Anna at email@example.com
The British Chamber offers continuing opportunities for students to intern in our team, typically in the areas of event planning and projects.
To check on current internship requirements at the Chamber, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For an example of how time spent at the Chamber has benefited students, read on to hear the feedback in their own words...
Deepti Narwani, Events Intern
My time at the British Chamber of Commerce was both exciting and insightful. I was given the opportunity to assist the team with both flagship and business group events. This included pre-event preparation as well as on site execution of the events. Managing on site difficulties at events thought me to adapt quickly to various situations, a skill which has now enabled me to work under pressure. The British Chamber team also trusted me to communicate with Chamber members to ensure smooth execution of events. I am extremely grateful for the support, patience and guidance that everyone at the British Chamber of Commerce provided me. I will carry the skills that I have learned for many years to come.
Edrea Tan, Trade Services Intern
My time at the British Chamber of Commerce, under the Trade Services team, was an enriching one. My job scope covered a myriad of tasks that gave me a wholesome understanding of the role the Trade Services team plays in the Chamber. The main projects I was engaged in were export opportunities, market research, events and the monthly newsletter. During the internship, I took charge of the export opportunities, being the main lead in sourcing, uploading and working with respondents. In addition, I got the opportunity to gain insight on the advisory services and business matching aspect of Trade Services through my assistance to the business advisors, primarily in market research. There were numerous business services events that I was involved in as well, which trained my ability to multi-task, be meticulous and organised in my work, and handle numerous excel sheets. Lastly, I assisted in crafting monthly Trade Services newsletters that provided an overview of events, business meetings, news and upcoming events. These newsletters keep our clients updated and maintains the relationship between our clients and the Trade Services team. All in all, the experience I had with the Trade Services team in the British Chamber of Commerce was warm and insightful. My time spent here was enjoyable and my learning objectives were met.